Friday, February 12, 2010

Crazy - Not Reckless

I returned from a recent weekend away with a new Baby Jogger Performance Double! I was totally psyched since all indications are that this should be a big upgrade from my Dreamer Design. It does appear to be mechanically superior to the Dreamer Design - or at least more robust, but there was a hitch when I got it all put together for our maiden voyage: 6 inches of snow on the ground. Now a little snow isn't going to stop me, so we head out only to find that the sidewalk is much too bumpy from the frozen footprints so we had to return to our starting point on the shoulder of the road and proceed with the Plan B route. As we are jogging back, running against traffic with NO oncoming cars at this time, a woman driving a minivan decides to "help" me by stopping her vehicle in the middle of a curve opposite me to tell me that, "If I were you, I would find somewhere else to run."

Gee! Really? Because I LOVE jogging on the road while the gravel shoulder is covered with 6 inches of snow plus the detritus from the plow! And certainly I didn't look first to make certain that there were no oncoming cars for this very short section before I turn into my street. Thanks lady.

So, I ran only once with my new Baby Jogger and then we got pummeled with snow. There is a solid 3 feet on the ground even after a couple melting days and drifts are even higher. Roads are narrow and paths are buried, so I'll have to get creative. Unfortunately or fortunately (I'm not sure) some roads are totally clear which means I really can't put the stroller on skis.

In the meantime, my one-year-old seems to be suffering from stroller withdrawal. She climbed right up today and happily sat to watch my husband ride the bike trainer in the garage.

1 comment:

Miles of the Journey said...

My son does some of his bike work with a child carrier towed behind. The girls just love it ! Like you experienced it takes some discernment to do it but it is a way to share his time with his children and still get some "hillwork" done, so to speak. The children cannot talk yet but they get excited if I just sit them on the saddle of their father's bike for a moment. Talk about learning by example..keep up the good work.
marv
http://milesofthejourney.blogspot.com/